June 17, 2007

To Michigan And Back

We made a quick trip to Michigan yesterday to see my grandparents. My grandfather isn't doing real well and it's important to see him as much as possible now. He has Alzheimer's and although he's still able to live at home with my grandma, I can tell it's getting hard on her. We went out to Cracker Barrel to eat and he didn't understand a lot of things that were going on. My grandma was trying to help him cut up his pancakes and he was getting frustrated at her for helping him, and she starting crying, and honestly, I wanted to get up and leave. I wanted to go out in my car and cry myself. I hate having to see that, it's hard. I can only imagine how hard it is for my grandma to deal with every day. Basically, my grandpa is already gone. He's not the same person he used to be and the hardest part about that, is that to some extent he knows it. He doesn't remember very much and he'll tell you that. Although when I walked in their house yesterday, he knew exactly who I was. That made my day! And made the whole 7 hours spent in the car worth it. Even the part where my mom out ran a cop. While driving MY SUV.


Here we are: (I dressed nicer for the trip, but bought that shirt at Cracker Barrel and wanted to wear something more comfortable for the ride home.)



My aunt and cousin came over too. It was great to see my over 6ft tall cousin again!



My aunt and cousin:




PS - Happy Father's Day, Dad!! :o)

0 Comments: