November 14, 2006

Anti - myspace

I remember about 9 years ago when my mom got internet set up at her house. We were still living with my parents (only this time in their house - lol) and I decided one night that I'd just surf around. I swear I was on that thing for 8 hours. I didn't get to bed until 4 am. It's like you lose all track of time when you're online.

Well, thanks to myspace, that very same thing happened last night. It all started off innocently... my friend Gwen and I were instant messaging each other looking up past boyfriends and guys we knew long ago on Michigan's Correctional site. It gives all the juicy info on what people did and how much time they got for their crimes. So we're going through all the people we knew and looking up all the bad things they've done... well, around 11:00 she was a smart girl and went to bed, while I took a gander at myspace.

Now myspace is not new to me, but I guess I'm just not hip enough to actually feel the need to get on there so I rarely do. lol However, the amazing thing is, just by searching one name you can find tons of people. It's all in the "friends"... links galore. Which brings more links and so on and so forth. Of course I'm more mature now... I made myself shut my computer off at 2 am! TWO IN THE MORNING PEOPLE! I was online looking up people on myspace until 2 AM! I don't know what the heck happened. And the worst part about that was that I had been on the computer almost all night anyway. I added it up, I was online for 7 hours straight last night. And the worst part about it... when I finally shut the thing off, I looked over to see my youngest curled up in the recliner beside me fast asleep with two books in his hands.

I had told him we'd read before bed and when he came down with the books he'd picked, I told him to "hold on just a minute". Then when he asked if I was ready to read yet, I said "just one more minute honey". When he asked again it was "yes, I'm almost done". I guess he finally gave up. And you know what, I totally spaced it and totally forgot all about it.

When I went to bed I had a sick feeling in my stomach. I told myself I was too old to stay up that late and that I was sick because at my age, I need sleep. The more I think about it, I may have had that sick feeling for another reason. I totally failed as a mom!! I didn't know it in my mind, but I knew it in my stomach! I was just too tired to figure it out.

Why do other people's lives seem so interesting to us? Why are we so concerned with what others are doing that we forget or ignore what's going on around us? I know there's a Bible verse to go along with this, but I just can't find it right now.

Tonight is reading DOUBLE night!!! The computer will go off at 7:00 sharp!!! And no more myspace!!

1 Comment:

 tyler clay said...

we found a lot of people though.