October 18, 2006

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right

I understand that, and I live by that. However, I also believe in something called respect. To get respect, you need to give it and therefore it is given in return. Everyone deserves respect, but it also is something to be earned.

I have decided today, that if and when I ever get to quit daycare (which I hope is SOON), I will not give my daycare parents notice. I will hand them a letter on a Friday afternoon and tell them they no longer have daycare. Adios!!

I know it seems that by doing that I would be taking myself down to their level, but I look at it as more of a respect thing than a "do unto others thing". I have had some major respect issues in the last few months from many of my daycare parents. I can only think of one family who I would consider to be a respectable daycare family. The others have a long way to go! And it's not about personality conflicts, I don't see them enough to not be able to get along with them. It's the fact that I have a contract, with policies and those policies are broken on a daily basis! After they have signed and agreed to them, they break them. Constantly. And I'm tired of sending reminders home. I'm tired of holding their hands. I'm just tired of it.

I have always looked down on other providers who have just up and quit. I thought they were horrible for doing that to the people whose children they cared for. Now I have to say that I understand why they would do such a thing. I used to think it was just plain unprofessional of them to not give the parents notice. Now I understand how they could feel like "just one more day" would literally drive them insane! I understand now how they could just say good-bye and close their doors at a moments notice.

So to those providers... I hear ya! I'm there for ya! I got your back!
And as much as I'd like to say "I'll be joinin ya!", I know myself and even though I'm so irritated at the whole situation, I probably wouldn't be able to do that.

1 Comment:

Mama T said...

Thank you for understanding. And the fact that you're not a provider and can still understand my point is so nice to know! I appreciate your comment! Thanks! :o)